THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3417

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
General Forum:
Topic:
Started By afrdmd (Bala Cynwyd, PA, U.S.A.)
Started on: 8/5/2005 2:50:21 PM, viewed 1033 times
effectiveness of compound exercises

I′ve been training for years but just don′t quite get the same "feel" in the musles I′m working when I′m using the consolidation routine with all compound exercises. For example, when I perform a set of leg extensions and leg curls to failure my legs are fried; yet, when I perform a set of squats I feel it more in my lower back and backside using good form. With dips, my triceps are fried yet my pecs don′t feel anything compared to an all-out set of db flyes. Is it just me or should I disregard this pumped-up burn as just that and not a sign of anything?

Andy

This Topic has 2 Replies: Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 Replies:
dafortae (a, a, U.S.A.) on 8/5/2005 3:30:50 PM

Hi Andy,

Yeah, I know the feeling you′re referring to. With compound exercises, all muscles don′t reach failure, only the weakest link. The thing is though, when doing a compound, the weakest link will only BE the weakest link for so long until ANOTHER muscle becomes the weakest link. It′s more like "cycles" of growth for various muscles. It also should be mentioned that a muscle doesn′t have to REALLY hit failure INDIVIDUALLY to grow. Compounds provide enough exhaustion for MOST muscles to cause them to grow.

So in my opinion, the "pumped" or burn feeling you get from compounds don′t mean it′s working any better. The amount of extra stimulation from an isolation exercise may not be worth the extra recovery time required.

Darrell

joe (barry, tx, U.S.A.) on 8/9/2005 8:51:12 PM

id stay with what you enjoy the most.

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now