THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3417

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Diet & Nutrition Forum:
Topic:
Started By mentzer51 (eagan, mn, U.S.A.)
Started on: 7/5/2006 4:58:11 AM, viewed 5652 times
Complex Carbohydrates

Are complex carbs necessary for a healthy diet? Does it matter if one eats only simple carbs for his carbohydrate intake or should he also consume complex carbs as well?

This Topic has 9 Replies: Displaying 1 - 4 out of 9 Replies:
Crovax (Kerkrade, Limburg, The Netherlands) on 7/5/2006 5:04:02 AM

Hi

i think i read somewhere and i cant recall where sorry about that, that it doesnt really matter much if you use simple carbs because the largest part will just be used as glucose anyway.

maybe its important to use some complex carbs, but i think if your on a diet with only 300 above maintaince or even less then all your carbs will be used as fuel anyways so simple carbs will do fine

thats my opinion but i dont know very much about the subject, all i can say is i use alot of simple carbs and its going in the right direction

Later!

B-WINE (Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands) on 7/5/2006 5:05:41 AM

Complex carbohydrates can be found in grains, breads, cereals and vegetables. Those food groups contain lots of healthy stuff like vitamins, minerals and fiber, so I definitely wouldn′t cut them out of my diet!

I believe Mike said in his "Heavy Duty Nutrition" booklet, that the emphasis should be on complex carbs. Simple sugars like fructose found in fruits and honey, for example, are still useful, though. And some treats like ice cream or a candy bar now and then won′t hurt your progress either.

Jeff (Toronto, M5T, Canada) on 7/7/2006 10:06:47 AM

Simple and complex carbs are the same thing, sugar. The only difference is that simple carbs are "simple," and can be broken down and converted into energy quicker than the complex version. The quicker the carb is converted into usable energy, the higher your blood sugar spikes and the more drastic the insulin response. Insulin is a great tool when trying to build muscle mass, but can also increase fat storage if not used properly. This is a tough trick.

In short, I would use simple carbs post workout and complex at the other meals, in order to keep insulin in check. If you want to strike all complex carbs from the menu, then just try not to go overboard on the simples, or your bood sugar might go all over the place. You also might want to take a fiber supplement as well.

Why do you want to get rid of them anyways?

Hope that helps a little.

Jeff

mentzer51 (eagan, mn, U.S.A.) on 7/7/2006 4:50:03 PM

I didnt mean I was going to stop eating complex carbs. I just wanted to know the importance of them, which you explained well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 - Next
To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now