THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3413

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Beginner Forum:
Topic:
Started By er.ric (Bayern, Bavaria, Germany)
Started on: 8/12/2011 2:31:25 PM, viewed 1675 times

Hello, I am a newbie both, to this forum and to bodybuilding in general. Just started going to the gym by the end of june. Now I start to feel and see first results and I, so to speak, tasted blood and want more than just improving my overall fitness. I stumbled over this page and the high intensity concept as such, I am overwhelmed by all the detail and information and would be very thankful if someone could tell a total beginner like me in a nutshell what I shall focus on since I already figured out that bodybuilding is a step-by-step thing and that one needs to be very patient or just gives up due to frustration.

Listen to my gym′s coach and go on with 2 sets of 20 reps? Or another configuration, or do I still need to build up some overall strength as a basis to begin with - and if so, how long would this phase typically last?

How many times a week, daily, one day gym one day recreation,...? Everybody seems to tell me a different scheme and I would love to go with high intensity training but do not want to make nonsense of it by not giving my body enough time to recreate or not work out frequent enough.

And what about my diet? I also want to lose some belly weight and - as a longterm goal - want to be muscled, not just "big" or a "bull", with bodyfat as low as it can get (as my ideal) so none of it coats the muscles I worked so hard to gain.

At the moment a typical diet for one day (with gym) looks like this:

Breakfast: Quark (something german, imagine a taste/texture between cottage cheese and yogurt, it is creamy and comes with only 0.5% fat), mixed with sugarfree strawberry flavor, afterwards a banana

Lunch: lettuce with tuna and tomatos

Before Gym: fruit (banana, apple or whatever else..to have at least some variation)

After Gym and as a small dinner: another portion of Quark

Both portions of Quark are each 500 gramms and I also supplement all minerals and vitamins with pills from the pharmacy

Well, thanks for reading my first post here! A little more about me, I am Eric, I am 24 and from Germany! Kontakte aus Deutschland willkommen (Contacts from Germany welcome), but ofcourse also from all over the world!

This Topic has 3 Replies: Displaying 1 - 3 out of 3 Replies:
Nothing (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.) on 8/12/2011 5:56:19 PM

It sounds like the routine you were given at your gym could use a lot of work. Full body 2-3x a week right now while you learn proper form would be ideal for you. Stick to reps in the 8-10 range and increase the weight you use when you′re comfortable. While you′re just getting form down I have two books I recommend you order.

For training advice I would look into getting Heavy Duty 2 by Mike Mentzer and Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert. Both are two great books to give you a foundation in realistic strength and bodybuilding training.

As for diet resources I have two sites I would recommend:

www.leangains.com - Martin is a writer in Sweden and his intermittent fasting way of dieting is top notch.

www.bodyrecomposition.com - Lyle is seen by many to be the top nutritional authority in bodybuilding today. He has a lot of great basic, dieting articles on his site for free.

godan (F. Collins, CO, U.S.A.) on 8/13/2011 7:24:55 AM

Nothing has provided good advice. To it, I would add a very strong suggestion that you buy a copy of Body by Science, by Doug McGuff, MD. The program and diet you describe seem much to complex and overdone for a beginner.

Ripped (Ballston Spa, NY, U.S.A.) on 9/8/2011 1:30:22 AM

Agreeing with what everyone else said about training, all I have to say is stick to the basics. Stick to the basics, train hard a few times per week, and you should be good. One of my favorite HIT books is "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubik. I liked Brook′s teachings a lot because he focuses on the basics. And he will have you realizing that if you find yourself over-thinking things, what you really need to do is stop thinking and go and train. In his book, "The Dinosaur Training Diary", he explains simply that if you believe that barbells work then you will get big and strong.

As for diet, I happen to be a big fan of Martin Berkhan as well. But the way I do it is a little bit different. I like the style of "The Warrior Diet" by Ori Hofmekler. So here′s pretty much what I do:
Lunch: raw fruits and vegetables, and maybe some eggs
Dinner: A large paleo style meal typically consisting of lots of meat, maybe some eggs, vegetables, and some starchy carbs such as sweet potatoes. If I want to cut weight I′ll decrease the fat a little bit and eat more lean sources of protein such as chicken. If not then I′ll allow myself a little bit of slack. Another trick to help shed the fat is to place lunch time closer to dinner. So for example, instead of eating lunch at noon I′ll eat at 3:00 pm instead.

So thats pretty much it. I could sum things up as follows:
1. Know your genetic potential and strive to achieve it. There is a few ways to calculate this and the equations are in an article on Lyle Mcdonald′s website.
2. Train hard twice per week and stay strong. You will reach your genetic potential that way.
3. Keep your diet simple and you shall be ripped.
4. Use the scale regularly so you know where you are at. Make proper changes as necessary.

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now