THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3077

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Diet & Nutrition Forum:
Topic:
Started By Nathan_Cray (Elkhart, IN, U.S.A.)
Started on: 4/12/2012 7:17:03 PM, viewed 1712 times
New-age bodybuilding diets and health

I have an interesting hypothetical query. If we take the typical new-age bodybuilding meal of a protein and a complex carb for nearly every meal, is it healthy? Mike pointed out that in order to provide the body with all the nutrients it needs to grow, we should consume a balanced diet from the four major food groups and doing this will give you the perfect nutrient ratio of 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat.

So if we take for example a meal of a sweet potato and 4-8 oz of chicken breast, can the bodybuilders who repeat this meal over and over again be healthy? Or would they need to add some fruit juice and a glass of milk to really balance out their nutrients? If they′re not getting all their nutrients, how are they making gains? Is it all just drugs?

Just some food for thought.

This Topic has 3 Replies: Displaying 1 - 3 out of 3 Replies:
Ripped (Ballston Spa, NY, U.S.A.) on 4/24/2012 12:58:38 PM

Probably the most intelligent part of what Mike used to argue is that "he said" isn′t a rational reason to believe something to be true. However, unfortunately he was relying on "he said" when he used to believe in the 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat ratio.

Having that said, I highly doubt there actually is any scientific validity to such recommendations. I highly doubt there is a one fits all macronutrient ratio.

So I guess my main point and answer to your question is that as simple as it was, I highly suspect that even Mike′s recommendations on nutrition were more complicated than they really have to be.

Looking at things in a simpler way, you have to have protein in order to build muscle, but nowhere near as much as what is typically recommended. Most foods have enough protein in them so you don′t have to go crazy with it. Aside from that, you need calories from food to live and also to supply enough energy to build muscle.

So I really do think it is that simple. But aside from that, consider where all of your vitamins come from. Sure, you could get sufficient calories from candy, but you probably aren′t going to get the vitamins and minerals you can get from good old fruits and vegetables.

So my idea is that providing you are having enough protein, you could still build muscle even while consuming a lot of junk food. You can even remain lean while doing so, providing the calories are accounted for. The problem however is that you might not get all your vitamins, which could result in some sort of deficiency, which could lead to health problems. Additionally, the problem with junk food is that it gives you too many calories before you can feel full, because it doesn′t take up enough room in your stomach.

So my simple answer to your question is that yes it would work, but I′m not so sure if you would get enough vitamins due to the lack of variety. That would be something to look into, the nutritional content (meaning micronutrients).

The other thing is, people typically only get so big anyways while remaining drug free. Everyone else is on drugs. Don′t believe me? Look up the stats on true natural bodybuilders who compete in the most rigorously drug tested meets where they actually even have to pass a lie detecter test. Only the taller guys will weigh more and probably not by much. I′m saying only the taller guys, 6′+ will be lean at 200 lbs, at least that is my bet.

Nathan_Cray (Elkhart, IN, U.S.A.) on 4/27/2012 3:22:40 PM

Great post Ripped. I do have to agree with you, because of my own experience with diet and muscle building, that diet does not have to be as complicated as new-age gurus have made it out to be. I also agree that a well balanced diet with sufficient(not too much more or less than is required) macro and micronutrients and calories is ideal.

ironman0370 (kettering, oh, U.S.A.) on 3/27/2013 9:09:47 AM

Great post. I tend to agree with a more simplified view of things, with the possible exception of Nutrient Timing, and getting the "biggest bang for your buck" regarding insulin response, etc. toward the end of muscle accretion. But your point about particular ratios, etc. is well taken and doesn′t have to be that complicated.

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now