THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3421

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
General Forum:
Topic:
Started By andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.)
Started on: 10/27/2013 1:52:47 PM, viewed 1172 times
This says a lot

So I don’t expect to win any physique contests – or any beauty contests, either – but we will all see what I can do with my body in an actually very brief period of time.
Some people have recently seen fit to state in writing that you can NOT make good gains unless you train at least five days a week, and that you must train several hours during each workout – so I want it clearly understood that such training will literally make good gains IMPOSSIBLE. A man who makes progress on such a program is literally gaining “in spite of his efforts” – rather than as a result of proper training – and anybody who can make any degree of progress on such a program would make actually spectacular progress on a correct program involving less than twenty percent as much weekly training time.
One author also stated in a recent article that, “... a three times per week training schedule is not ENOUGH for a man who wants to make good gains.” And he is right – in most cases, it is TOO MUCH; quite contrary to common belief, an advanced man should train LESS than a beginner – most of our advanced men are now training only twice each week, for less than an hour during each “full body” workout.
A beginner isn’t strong enough to overtrain easily – so a beginner can actually stand more training than an advanced man can; but if an advanced trainee is training properly (and that primarily means “hard enough”), then he literally can’t stand much if any more than two weekly workouts, and certainly not more than three weekly workouts under any circumstances.
Once I am back home from the university experiment, I will switch to a twice-weekly training routine – and as time goes by, I will gradually REDUCE my workouts. Rather than training MORE as I become stronger, I will train LESS – as I have to do in order to prevent overtraining, as ANYBODY must do to prevent overtraining.
The only thing that Nautilus machines do that barbells don’t do is provide HARDEST POSSIBLE work – with a barbell you are working only “part” of a muscle, actually a rather small part, no matter how hard you think you are training, no matter how much you train; with Nautilus machines, you are working almost literally “all” of the same muscles – or, at least, you should be, you can be if you train properly. But the same principles are involved regardless of what you are using in the way of training equipment – you must work as hard as possible, but you must NOT work too long, nor too often, and as you get stronger you must work even less insofar as the “amount” of training is concerned.
So let there be no slightest doubt on this point, either – we are now building the best exercise tools in existence, by far the best; there is simply no reasonable grounds for a comparison between Nautilus machines and any other type of training equipment – and, along with these machines we are advocating by far the best system of training in existence, the only really sane system of training, the most productive system.
Strong words? Perhaps – but true; and anybody who disagrees with the above points is either badly misinformed or is attempting to tout some other method or system of training for their own commercial advantage.
And what about my own commercial advantage? Well, I am certainly commercially involved – now; but I just as certainly had no desire or intention of being so involved even as recently as two years ago- such involvement was almost literally forced upon me. But, once having decided to take the plunge, I decided to go all the way – never having been one to do things in a half-hearted manner, I have gone as far as I could as fast as I could. And, as I said earlier in this article, perhaps I have gone “too far, too fast” – maybe my articles have simply contained too much information that is new to most weight-trainees, it could be that I have exceeded the attention span of some trainees.
If I was twenty years old again (Lord forbid), or even forty years old, and if I was content to waste a large part of my time – then I might also be content to proceed at a leisurely pace. But since I don’t have as many years left as most of the readers of Ironman, and since I don’t really want to spend the rest of my life trying to explain a few actually very simple points to a lot of people who have been systematically brainwashed into believing almost everything but the truth – I am naturally anxious to “get on with it,” to proceed as rapidly as possible, so I can later move on to a few other things that also interest me.

This Topic has 2 Replies: Displaying 1 - 2 out of 2 Replies:
andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 10/27/2013 5:37:46 PM

I should′ve mentioned that this article was by Arthur Jones

B-WINE (Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands) on 10/28/2013 7:55:27 AM

I remember reading it, yeah.

I understand that, when used properly, with Nautilus exercises machines (from ′70-′86) it is impossible that one can train hard AND long.

Funny, although he worked like a mule plow for most of his life, somewere in those articles Jones wrote that one of the main reasons why he was so obsessed with finding the optimal way to train was that he was very lazy!

Also, when he started training somewhere around the second part of the 1930′s, he trained about four hours a day, three times a week, four sets per exercise.

Later he reduced that to 2 sets per exercise, three times a week, and eventually to only one set per exercise, two times a week or less.

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now