THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3401

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Advanced Forum:
Topic:
Started By andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.)
Started on: 8/3/2014 9:54:45 AM, viewed 1941 times
Accentuating the negative

Hey you guys,
Once in a while I go onto YouTube and watch people doing Mentzer, Jones style workouts, but almost all do the same thing.....they drop the weights in the negative portion of the rep.
I know that Jones and Mentzer said that the negative aspect of the rep was most important and needed to be controlled, in fact so much so that when you could no longer stop it′s descent that that was time to terminate the set....you′ve reached complete failure at that point.

On every lift I do whether it′s trap bar, chins or dips, I make sure to emphasize those negatives.
I would imagine you guys follow the same rule.

This Topic has 6 Replies: Displaying 1 - 4 out of 6 Replies:
godan (F. Collins, CO, U.S.A.) on 8/22/2014 6:25:02 AM

I have not been on this site for a while, so this may be redundant, but I have been using the negative-emphasized methods from Darden′s new book, Bodyfat Breakthrough for one of my two weekly workouts. It takes some time to adjust to the methodology and make it work, but they are tiring enough to seem credible.

andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 8/22/2014 9:21:36 AM

I have for the last several years worked out once a week and I have always concentrated on the negative portion of each rep, but I have discovered that weekly workouts are perfectly fine as long as the exercises are different week to week.
My progress is and feels better like say doing dips every three weeks, same with chins and trap bar lifting.
It seems that the negative aspect if done properly really takes it′s toll and you have to respect that.
Thanks for posting, hopefully you′ll be back

godan (F. Collins, CO, U.S.A.) on 8/24/2014 8:26:58 PM

We see that even within a negative emphasis, you and I have substantially different routines. That illustrates an essential reality about HIT that I have learned over the past ten years. Each serious exerciser will eventually adjust and adapt standard ideas to find the program that works best for him. This is why I am suspicious of strict formulas, including those in Darden′s book that I cite above. They are fine as a point of departure, but should not be promoted as the One True Way For All To Follow. We each find our own way.

blues1 (Philly, Pa., U.S.A.) on 8/24/2014 8:34:15 PM

Ive used the plan in Darden′s new book for a few months. I know it says to go to once a week when you get into the routine,and some every 10 days.

If anyone has not read his book, It could be confusing what he calls negative-emphasized.

Its 1 and a 1/2 rep per exercise. 30 second negative,30 second positive,and a 30 second negative. Thats it. I can be very challenging. 8-10 exercises per workout. Some went to 5 or 6.

I think it works best with machines,but ive used both machines,barbell,or db.

Page: 1 | 2 - Next
To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now