THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3409

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Routines & Programs Forum:
Topic:
Started By andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.)
Started on: 1/16/2015 7:04:54 PM, viewed 1840 times
My one set routine

Gentlemen,
For the past several weeks now I have stopped my Sunday morning only routine of consolidated lifting to a every three to four days one set of one exercise routine.
In fact, my chins have gone up three reps and of course just my body weight but at 195 lbs it works. Plus they are strict reps up and down with a hold at the top and when I fail to pull out one more rep, I fight the negative for several seconds. It works!
Then 4 days later, trap bar squats with 300 lbs x 15 reps so far. Key here is using 35 lbs plates for deeper squat and concentrating on pushing through the legs and not merely deadlifting the weight up.
Three days later it′s dips solid and slow with 45 lbs as of last workout for nine reps, and again slow and controlled.
So far so good.
I have started doing some calf raises using a weight belt that I use for dips with 60 lbs x 20 reps after trap bar squatting, generally every other time though.
I found that two exercises in a row were just too much and I would be irritable for a couple days and really beat.

This Topic has 4 Replies: Displaying 1 - 4 out of 4 Replies:
blues1 (Philly, Pa., U.S.A.) on 1/18/2015 1:00:57 AM

You could probably get way with lifting 3x a week with what your doing.

You should recover fine. Throw in a not to failure set once in a while.

I think taking a two set routine out to every 10-14 days is a bad idea and can lead to getting unconditioned.

It was a disaster for me.

In the end Mentzer understood this too. But He could not come out in public about it because it went against his "There is only one valid theory"

That′s where cumulative fatigue train comes into play. IE: Not to failure everytime.

I spoke to Ray a few months before his death.

I know Ray did not think it was a good idea. Extreme consolidation routines that is.

Your muscles will recover faster than you think.

I think when people get to the point of adding days that there muscles recover faster than the central nervous system.

Thats when a rest will recharge the batteries.

andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 1/18/2015 10:51:36 AM

Well I am a big believer in working hard then backing off, the nerves get shot if you don′t

andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 2/8/2015 3:07:45 PM

You know what′s funny about this routine, my reps have gone up (as well as poundages) but especially on chins where I was always stuck at six reps!
No matter what, but now I am almost at ten reps...and good ones to boot.
May not sound like much, but once again Mr. Mentzer had it right

andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 4/6/2015 4:41:50 PM

Well gentlemen,
So far far so good with this routine, and what else is nice is the fact that that constant deep down ache in my back has left the building.
Doing trap bar lifts is the best exercise ever, but after a while the constant tension by always keeping the bar off the floor without resetting the weight was taking a toll.
Anyhow I′m happy

To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now