THIS SITE IS AGGRESSIVELY MODERATED READ RULES & PURPOSE ON GENERAL BOARD BEFORE POSTING
Login
- or -
Register

All Forums

Total Members: 3421

Forums moderator - Forum Admin
info@highintensity.net

The Message from Forum Admin (moderator)

Search Topics:  
Routines & Programs Forum:
Topic:
Started By Jim (Yulara, NT 0872, Australia)
Started on: 5/11/2015 4:50:34 PM, viewed 3768 times
no size gain

Hello all,
I haven′t posted for a long time, but as per usual have been making steady (but not phenomenal) strength gains by following Mike′s consolidation routine. I am without doubt stronger now that at any other time in my 43 year old life. However, as per my last post years ago, I look and weigh pretty much the same. I am 6′4" and weigh 83kg. I eat 140g of protein per day and a clean diet with carbs (complex) and a little fat. I am eating over my daily calorie requirement at present and the only change is feeling my belt tightening. This is the story of my life....I am naturally lean and lanky and fear that I may just have to accept it after all these years. I have clearly managed to ′increase the effectiveness′ of my muscles, as I can lift more now than ever. However they′re the same size as they were 20 years ago. For interest I leg press 260kg, dip with 18kg around my waist and deadlift 60kg on the bar (start deadlift with my thighs parallel to the floor). If anyone thinks my destiny is anything but looking like I do now, and have done for decades, I would appreciate you thoughts.

Thanks, jim

This Topic has 6 Replies: Displaying 1 - 4 out of 6 Replies:
andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 5/11/2015 11:40:22 PM

Hey Jim,

I had the same dilemma so what I did was that I started using a trap bar, and lo and behold I put on thirty pounds within a couple months.
I would do squats with it weekly 15-20 reps to failure the either do dips or chins.
Try it out. I still do them, but now I use a lot more weight so I do not do them weekly
Remember high reps 12-20 with as much weight as possible, and always to failure
Andy

Nothing (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.) on 5/12/2015 7:36:11 AM

Jim, I think you′re reaching the conclusion I did that Mentzer′s stuff just never worked for me. I wanted it to work and understand his reasoning behind it, but I do better with more traditional strength routines that include more volume & frequency.

I do an upper/lower split twice a week and about 5-7 sets per body part on my workouts 3-4 times a week. I really think you should consider hard if Heavy Duty is optimal for you and research modern scientifically backed routines.

A good resource I would recommend starting with is www.bodyrecomposition.com. Lyle really knows his stuff and everything he writes about diet & training is completely backed by scientific research and changed how quickly I progress.

I think you have more potential than where you are at, but you′re going to have to do something other than Heavy Duty.

Jim (Yulara, NT 0872, Australia) on 5/13/2015 6:22:04 AM

Hey Andyr and Nothing,
Thanks to you both for taking the time to reply. You have given me good food for thought. I was originally attracted to HT as I struggled to make strength or size increases with traditional volume training. With MMs workouts I gain strength but not size... Thanks for helping me continue the journey.

andyr (los alamitos, ca, U.S.A.) on 5/15/2015 3:04:19 PM

Hey Jim,
Here′s something that may be of particular interest to you, I have been doing mostly the athletes routine that Mike specifically told me to do in a phone consultation and just like you I got stronger but my weight and size never really changed much, and I′m talking years!
I did various versions of this routine but never really deviating from what Mike Mentzer had prescribed.
I kept reading this forum though and the word "trap bar" kept popping up and so I looked into what the hell it was. Man am I glad that I did, because I got one and I started using that damn thing and almost immediately my body weight started shooting up! No bullshit, I put on 30 lbs within 3 months, and I got much stronger all when I was 45 years old. I am now on the cusp of 52 and am strong, healthy and I work in a very laborious job.
When you use a trap bar your legs and back which are the driving force of your body′s core strength will boost your testosterone levels and you will grow. At first you can use that bar twice weekly, but after two months you can go to once a week because the weights will start piling on and the stress will be too much if done too often.
Just add some dips, chins and maybe standing presses and I guarantee it will work.
What do you have to lose, give it a try.
Andy

Page: 1 | 2 - Next
To Post Your Reply:
Please Login :
E-Mail:
Password:
Remember me next time
or, Register Now
and enjoy FREE Membership
with Highintensity Fan Club!
Register Now